Saturday, April 26, 2008

one year ago

This time a year ago, things were quite different in my life. I’m not for a second regretting my decision to come to Japan. But spring makes me nostalgic and lately I’ve been thinking about the things I miss from one year ago…

I miss sitting outside on the grass at Roberts. The weather is beautiful here, but there’s no lawn, picnic blankets, Frisbee, or English speaking friends walking by. There’s only grandma’s in their fields and a dirty beach nearby.

I miss Matt. A year ago, he wasn’t available for making me laugh, chatting, or listening to my stories anymore. But at least I could go visit, see him, and know for myself that he was making progress. How is it possible to begin to forget your friend’s face?

I miss the excitement of graduation. As the end of the American school year approaches, I am caught up in the new school year here. It’s difficult to fathom that soon everyone else will be done and summer will begin. And it kills me that I’m missing Allen walking across the stage, getting his diploma. Let me tell ya, four years from now I’ll be that big sister, cheering embarrassingly in the front row.

I miss kids I love. At home in the States, I have tons of little tykes who can communicate with me and who I can stop by to visit whenever I have the urge for some fun and hugs. Here the kids think I’m really cool, but it’s just not the same.

I miss driving. This year has been really valuable in the way it taught me to appreciate public transportation. I have a new love for riding on trains and using my bike to get around town. But it’s a great feeling to cruise in the sunshine, with the windows down & some great tunes playing. I miss it.

I miss being in charge of a classroom. This time a year ago I was in solo week of my last student teaching placement. Things had finally come to fruition and I was making good on my previous seven semesters of learning. I could handle the class and felt effective in my teaching abilities. I also got to hang out with my kids at lunchtime and understand the words coming from their mouths.

I miss easy access to my nearest and dearest. These scheduled weekly Skype dates really don’t satisfy my need for consistent communication. It drains me that I can’t just call my loved ones whenever I want to hear their voices, or anytime I have a funny story to share.

I miss my camera. I miss everyone wearing flip flops. I miss Mom’s gorgeous garden. I miss our hammock. I miss real pizza. I miss diversity. I miss ice cream cones. I miss old navy summer clothes bargains. I miss playing catch. I miss the days when things were simpler and we could all be together.

No comments: