Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Things I love about life here…

Saying good-morning to people I pass on the way to work.
Having them say it back.
Smiles from cutie old ladies
Kids who look shocked at my greeting, but still attempt one in return.
Clean clothes that dry in a few hours b/c it’s so hot
Italian restaurants with Japanese staff, décor, and menu writing :)
Being able to bike everywhere
The amazing view from virtually every part of our apartment building
-San added on to everyone’s name


Things I don’t necessarily love…

Sunshine beating through my front window to wake me up each morning
Not being able to ask as many questions as I would like
Extreme lack of counter space
Having 5 ½ hours at school without talking to anyone

My expectations of talking on skype dashed by lack of internet

just some random ramblings…

My personality takes quite a different role here in Himi. I’m definitely used to being the initiator, planner, and pursuer. In most of my life situations so far, I’ve had ideas for social plans, adventures to convince everyone we should try, and new places to go and check out. I also felt free to ask the questions. It’s a whole new world for me… I’m new. I’m inexperienced. I’m illiterate.

It’s been so humbling to realize that I am not the one who initiates, invites, and entertains. I am learning what it’s like to be a follower, a student of my sempai and of the Japanese friends I meet. I have great teachers, which makes a huge difference. The other JETs are welcoming, informative, and genuinely cool. They have equipped me so well that even from the beginning I had a great source of information and guidance… [Train and bus schedules, English maps with important places highlighted, etc, etc.]

It’s also a funny contrast of time here; I spend so much time alone in my apartment, yet have days like Saturday with barely a spare moment of down time. I like it this way; I haven’t yet gotten caught up by my tendency to plan every second of life. The first 2 weeks in what I consider the most extreme experience of my almost 23 years of life have been a shocking combination… unforgettable, stimulating, confusing, peaceful, stressful, humbling, awesome, lonely, busy, and joyous!!

Author’s note: Sunday night I became an initiator; Ann and I had talked about wanting to go swimming in the sea. I wanted to go that night and thought my friends might like the idea as well. We got bathing suits on around 8:30 p.m. and headed to the nearest clean beach. Since it was pitch black, we couldn’t see the tons of jellyfish which stung us ALL over our bodies as we swam out to this diving dock… as you can see from the pictures, jellyfish did not spoil our fun. The entire evening was an awesome memory of adventure and spontaneity!!

“You are so random; I like you guys!!!” — Masa-chan


[jellyfish stings didn:t lessen our enthusiasm one single bit!!]

[hahahahaha we look perfectly posed... ]



[darling little fellow @ a local himi festival]

2 comments:

Allen Nelson said...

hey kell. i love you. havent talked to you in forever. i set up this new gmail account so as to start college apps. i love your pics. is your friend masa as much fun as he looks? im using sam rutkas sweet new computer. its an apple macbook and its covinced me to get one. its so awesome. a sweet camera for skype or video chat or whatever. mad awesome. i love it!

Kelly Alberts said...

brother!!! hi, i'm so glad you like the pics. masa IS as fun as he looks, haha he is hysterical and is always up for adventure! :)

anyway, i'm SO glad to hear from you!!! i can't wait for you to be home so we can talk on skype sometimes!!

i love you SO very much and miss your voice and your laugh and your sense of fun!! :)